Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Women, incontinence is over!

I think incontinence, is a well-known problem by all the women around the world, but are all the possible solutions as known as the problem itself?

I don't know you, but as a men I had no idea that this problem had a set of solutions. I thought that it was a problem women had due to their age, a sort of "leakage" in their bladder, and that they just had to get used to it. But after reading an article about this I was absolutely amused.

Incontinence is a problem at the level of the bladder muscles that makes women unintentionally urinate. The solutions to this problem may be several, but we are going to talk about two. One of these solution is a bottox injection right in the bladder muscles that fixes the problem. The other solution is taking oral medications.


          Botox injection in the bladder

An experiment conducted in nearly in 250 58-year-old woman, resulted in one hand,  in a cessation of the leakage in the 27 percent of the women treated with botox. On the other hand, the experiment resulted in a cessation of the leakage in the 13 percent of the women that were treated with the oral medication.

So girls, what would you do if were looking for treatment for your incontinence? Would you chose the botox injections? taking into consideration that one of its side effects is repeated urinal infections. Or would you chose the oral medications? knowing that this treatment is less effective than the botox injections.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I’m afraid of injections, and they are painful so I don’t think I would choose them If I had incontinence. And second, I have always had problems with my stomach, and pills damaged it every time I’m sick and I have to take them. In other words, I would not choose any option.
    I did a little research and I found out that there are also natural remedies that may decrease the incontinence problem. For example, getting fit if you are overweight, in order to avoid the pressure that belly fat puts on the bladder and the pelvic muscles; including magnesium in your diet because this reduces bladder muscle spasms; cutting out caffeine and nicotine (smoking) since these can contribute to bladder irritation; or staying hydrated because if you don’t, you may end up constipated, which can cause incontinence.
    I can add that Rodrigo mentioned incontinence as a “well-known problem by all the women around the world.” While I was looking for information, I read that can also affect men. Therefore, they should not ignore it.
    Men, if you are reading this: Be careful! You can also have incontinence problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I have to say that your post was a bit chauvinist. As Paulina said not only women suffered from this, but also men suffer from this!
    Second incontinence is not a “well-known problem by all the women around the world”, not all women have this problem. It has to with a lot of other factors that you didn’t mention such as age, genetics and lifestyle.
    Having said this I will answer to your final question. I hope not having this problem in the future, but in case I do, I'd take the bottox injections, I'm cool with needles; pills give me disgust!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read about this problem, I realized that it can affect both, men and women, but as I mentioned above, I had no idea that it was something quite "common" in women.
    Answering to what Pauila said, I know there are many solutions or mitigators for this prolems, but as I mentioned in my post, I was going to focus only in these two particular ones.

    Now, answering to you Macka, I know i didn't add any source for this problem, and it just because my post was not focused on the sources but on the solutions that were recently included into the possible treatments. As you mentioned, incontinence has to do with lots of things, age genetics, lifestyle, and even pregnancy.

    I'm sorry if you think it is a little vage because there are no sources for this prblem, but as you both know, the range of words for the posts is limited, that is why I decided to post something related to the new treatments, instead of the sources.

    ReplyDelete