Friday, October 5, 2012

Venom working as painkiller

Some people are afraid of moths, some are afraid of birds, I'm afraid of spiders, and some others are afraid of snakes. A person that suffer of Ophidiophobia will probably be a bit reluctant to try out this new painkiller.

The Dendroaspis polylepis or better know as Black Mamba's poison is the most deadly and painful in the world. But one of its compounds can actually relieve pain. Researchers in France found this particular effect. They tested the compounds, called mambalgis, on mice that were injected with chemicals designed to cause painful inflammation or exposed to hot water (I imagine this and makes me a bit sad for those poor animals). The tests thshowed that the venom treatment soothed pain as well as morphine, so the mice were "better" after all.

This new painkiller has not been tested in humans, but researchers are confident about the success of it. The problems that are no cleared yet are the side effects of its usage.

Would you use something made of what you are afraid the most? I wouldn't.

3 comments:

  1. I am afraid of 2 things, insects and heights. I think I could surrender to my fear of insects if that could help me to overcome a disease or release a pain. But I would never, ever, jump off from a plain, not even if that cured cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really think of any material thing I'm afraid of. Maybe rats, those disgusting beings make me throw up, so I think I wouldn't be able to use anything related to them. Even if scientists find the cure to all pains and diseases in rats, I wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like Ma. José, i can't really think of something I'm afraid of at this particular moment, but my respect for nature and animals is huge. That's why for me it's no wonder that something so dangerous, as a mamba's poison, can be used as a painkiller.
    So, if I were in extreme pain, i wouldn't think it twice and I would use anything that may cure me, or may relief me from pain.

    ReplyDelete