Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Are you a violent dreamer?


.
Have you ever been dreaming that you are involved in a fight or something like that and suddenly you wake up because of a fast movement you did? Perhaps a kick or a punch?  You should start keeping an eye on this because those acts may be an early sign of brain disorders. A study published online in the journal Neurology has shown that neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia may be detected decades before a person is actually diagnosed.

There is a peculiar sleep disturbance called REM sleep behavior disorder (or RBD) which affects some people –especially men. The main symptom of this disorder is to act out of dreams. The normal muscle paralysis that occurs to most people while they sleep is absent in people who suffer from RBD, leaving the dreamer free to move or shout in the middle of the sleep. In some cases the sleepers can hurt themselves or even a person who is sharing their beds.


Noticing early signals of the disease may help doctors to monitor and even to treat patients in a stage of the disease when the brain deterioration can still be prevented.

So, what about you? Are you a pacifist or a violent person in dreamland?

3 comments:

  1. I definetely consider myself a pacifist dreamer. Sometimes I wake up crying in the middle of the night because of bad or sad dreams. My elder brother always laughs while sleeping and it seems like he is having so much fun in her dream. Unfortunately my mother cannot say the same since her significant other has kicked and scared her more than once while dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, didn't know that it could lead to more serious problems. I don't know if I start punching the air and kicking the sheets, but what I do know is that sometimes I have some freaky dreams, like being shot in the head or some other terrible things ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had movements during REM (dreams) sleep, of a violent nature. I would sometimes punch my partner. This was following a period of 'addiction' to watching tv shows, back to back, in the criminal forensic or autopsy world.
    None for years as SPS meds removed my REM sleep.
    nearly recovered, and on the lowest possible med rate now, I was pushing people off me during my sleep, and according to partner and daughter down the hall, sounding more and more panicked, until he managed to waken me after several attempts.
    I couldn't get back to sleep, so got up and went to make a hot chocolate drink. But my dream had been so terrifying, I was turning on every light in each room I passed on my way to the kitchen. Back abed, I had to read a magazine until I fell asleep.
    This article (found by chance) gives me the yips, a little. definitely will be mentioning it to my Neurologist!

    ReplyDelete