Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I’m pregnant -Who is the father? - It's my brother!


Although it seems so, this is not a case of incest. This is the case of a woman who will give birth to twins whose mother is not able to carry them because she has no uterus. And the father is, indeed, her brother. Tiffany Burke accepted her brother and sister-in-law’s petition with no objection.

After considering pros and cons, the decision was taken. Tiffany became a surrogate mother. The word comes from “surrogacy” which refers to the action of carrying a baby for another person or couple.  
In this occasion, the surrogate mother was a relative and; therefore, she didn’t gain any money. However, there are surrogacy agencies in which women offer themselves to be surrogate for considerable amounts of money.

Burke and the Luciches show off photos of the babies.
There are several issues around this matter. For instance, there are people who claim that women are free to decide what they do with their bodies, so surrogacy should be totally acceptable. On the other hand, some people claim that it devalues motherhood because surrogate mothers are seen as simple “baby deliverers”.

Moreover, in some occasions the surrogate mother refuses to deliver the baby to the people who arranged the agreement, since in many places surrogacy is illegal.

Here's the complete piece of news about the case of Tiffany Burke.


If you couldn’t have children, would you request a surrogate mother? Furthermore, would you propose it to someone from your family e.g. your sister? Does it really devalue motherhood?

2 comments:

  1. In my personal case whether I can or cannot have children is not relevant because I've always considered adoption as a primary option for me. I think it is truly valuable to give an already born kid the opportunity to have a loving home waiting for him/her. There is nothing wrong with surrogate mothers, but in the case I couldn't have children, to request a surrogate mother wouldn't be an option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know if I am, or if I will ever have the opportunity of being pregnant but if the situation is not possible, I would love adopting a child. It does not mean that I’m against the surrogate mother, but I think there are too many children in the world who need a family and we can give them a home where to live in.
    I understand there are women who “need” to give birth to their own child, and in this case they can’t do it, the option of asking for a surrogate is a way of feeling they are part of their child, so I don’t judge them and consider as valid as any other option, no matter whose uterus it might be.

    ReplyDelete