Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bowlingual Voice: understand what your dog is telling you

Have you ever wanted to know what your dog is saying or feeling? Well, now you can. There is a device, invented in Japan, which can decode what your dog wants to say through its bark. You can know when it is feeling happy, sad, angry, needy or alert. It is called Bowlingual Voice and it shows how far technology has come to.
This device works through a collar that the dog needs to wear, and it is connected to a wireless machine that shows you the message your dog is trying to deliver to you whenever it barks. It was released in 2002 and the message is translated into human language. The bad thing is that they have not translated it into English yet, so you have to know Japanese in order to understand what they machine is telling you (and the messages can also be heard), it is around $200-220 dollars, and it is available only in Japan.
Dogs can be trained in order to let you know their needs: whenever they have to pee, they are feeling hungry, or are simply angry and don’t want to play with you. This device goes beyond that, it shows you messages like “go away” or “you don’t understand me”. It sounds hard to believe, but it is true.
Do you think this is possible? Or is it only a hoax just to make money?
Maybe in a couple of years, someone will come up with a unit that will allow animals to talk; the truth is, technology is surprising us more every day.

5 comments:

  1. I personally don’t like when technology goes that far. I love dogs and through all this years, I’ve considered some of them as my friends. I like the way they look at me and how they behave when “they want to play”. I haven’t needed a special device to create a relationship with my pets and they have survived very well in time.
    Of course there are sometimes when I wish I could understand what they “think”, but in time, I realized it is not that important if you really care and take your time when trying to get their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assure you that if it was developed and announced by Japanese, it is true; they always come up with several kinds of inventions—no matter how wicked they are (e.g.: the "Shippo Tail" that wags according to your mood).

    It would be lovely to be able to know not only what your dog says, but also any animal—I envy Dr. Dolittle and Eliza Thornberry so badly—since it could be quite interesting to know the perspective of animals towards life and it would be useful for veterinarians to know exactly where do these creatures feel pain.

    In addition, it would probably help in any protest against animal cruelty to hear the other part of the population that is never listened to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Daniela; besides since it has been created by humans, the words are still some kind of scripting language and not a totaly faithful interpretation of what the animal may want to say.
    I think it is only a device useful for interpreting their responses towards a particular situation, such as being happy or afraid,but nothing else

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to know what dogs think and I would really love having a Bowlingual Voice as long as it does not cause any biological damage to dogs, of course.

    ReplyDelete