Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Oh, honey, you're my sweetest desire!"



            You may neither smoke marijuana, inhale cocaine, drink alcohol nor smoke a cigarette, yet you should consider verifying how much sugary food you have had lately. Why such peculiar analogy, you may wonder; have you ever felt a frenetic desire for gorging yourself with sweets? You may either like sweets a lot or... SURPRISE! You are an addict!
            Believing this can be hard as a candy; however, for Robert H. Lustig, Laura A. Schmidt and Claire D. Brindis, researchers from the University of California, this situation is a rather bittersweet issue: This addiction, known as “sweet tooth,” can produce psychological illness such as anxiety syndrome and exaggerated dependence as in drug addicts or alcoholic people.
            This phenomenon is related to the effects in certain brain receptors—a clear example of this is chocolate; this incredibly familiar candy is also a sort of narcotic bomb: giving it a bite will make your brain produce a hormone—neurotransmitter—named serotonin, which increases the feeling of bliss. Therefore, this becomes an extremely pleasant experience that somehow makes us evade reality.
            Hence, diseases such as diabetes and obesity are not the only issues that we should concern about at the moment of eating our appetising candies; we need to take into account the possibility of an inflated obsession that would make these ailments even more likely to happen. Do you feel like having a whole bag of Frugelé’s right now?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. You made me realize that I am a chocolate addict! I always supposed that I was, but I didn’t know that there was evidence to prove it. I guess all types of food can make us have different body reactions, but dependence. I don’t want to pretend to be a sort of sergeant or something but it should exits legislation related to ingredients and additives that candies have, as they are sold everywhere and as you mention they can cause heavy diseases, more that addiction. Another expensive and uncomfortable condition related to eating too much sugar is tooth decay or caries, nobody likes going to the dentist and having to visit him/her because of the amount of sweets you eat may costs you more than you can suppose. From now on I will try to manage the amount of chocolate I regularly eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some weeks ago, I would have said: "Yeah! Give me that chocolate, those candies and this cake!" but I think I got to a point in which I told myself that not all sweet food is healthy. Yes, they are delicious, but that's the main reason why people get addicted: not all kind of food tastes so well.

    The main reason why I'm trying to give up eating so much sweet food is because it has a lot of calories, and only a few candies provide me with the calories I need to survive a whole day. Also, I used to spend a lot of money on sweet food, which also used to be my lunch or breakfast. It's been very difficult to stop eating so much sugar because I was -and maybe I still am- a sugar addict.

    I guess not all people get to the conclusion that sweet food, besides being delicious, is not always good for our health.

    ReplyDelete