Saturday, October 20, 2012

Is there life after death?



 Dr. Eben Alexander is a fifty eight-year old neurosurgeon of Harvard University who lived a near-death experience (NDE) four years ago. It was caused by an extremely rare illness that attacked the neocortex, an important part of the brain that controls thought and emotion—and in essence makes us human. Dr. Alexander’s brain shut down completely for seven days during which he laid in a hospital bed in a deep coma. One day, out of the sudden, his eyes popped open. This surprised his doctors who had weighed the possibility of stopping the treatment.  They explained Dr. Alexander’s come back as a medical miracle.


Surprisingly, the miracle was not just that Dr. Alexander had returned from a coma, it was that while he was unconscious, and according to what he declared, his mind “travelled beyond this world and had an encounter with an angelical being who guided him into the deepest realm of super-physical existence where he met and spoke with the Divine source of the universe itself.”

His story has caused a big impact in the science world because, according to the medical understanding of the brain and mind, he could have never had experienced even a reduced state of consciousness during the coma. Alexander is a man of science who would always explain that NDEs, despite feeling real to people who have experienced them, are simply fantasies produced by brains after extreme stress. But this incredible experience made him change his mind and question himself if there is life after death.  

Now he thinks of death not as the end of personal existence but as a transition. He also believes that true health can be achieved only when we realize than God and the soul are real.

What do you think about Dr. Alexander’s experience and words about the existence of afterlife? Do you believe in life after death? 

You can click here to watch and listen his testimony and learn about "Proof of Heaven," a book Dr. Alexander wrote inspired by his experience.  

5 comments:

  1. I'm Christian so I do think there is life after death. I have heard experiences of different people who claim have seen the "tunnel" and I do believe them. It would be a good thing if scientists conduct an experiment on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mackarena, I would also like that a scientific experiment were conducted in order to verify these allegations regarding afterlife. I understand that you as a Christian believe so, but I am sure that you also would like to know what is life like "there" or at least be certain about the existance of life after death.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that my grandma said, before she died, that while being at the hospital she was visited by a choir of angels. She was very sick, so I think that she may have seen that because of her illness. It was a beautiful story, and sad at the same time. The point is that maybe the same happened to Dr. Eben Alexander, who while being sick, saw something that may have been unreal.

    Personally, I think that after we die, our body goes straight to the grave and it is eaten by worms and other insects. For me, that's the circle of life. Although I feel there's no life after death, I still visit the grave of my deceased loved ones. Pretty confusing, uh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I would like to say that I think that "life after death" isn't possible, because death as all we know is to stop living. But to close our mind and to say that it's impossible for there to be something it would be to neglect possibilities. If death is a state of transicion to another state that would be completely logical, since even according to science nothing dies or disspapears, everything changes. But I have to agree with María Jose and say that in my opinion our bodies turn into something else by becoming part of the earth, but I also believe that our bodies cannot work just because, so "soul" is a concept valid for me and it would be very interesting(although unlikely) to know what our soul becomes after we die

    ReplyDelete