Monday, August 27, 2012

Children and videogames

It is incredible how much technology and science has made for us. From cures for some diseases to the smallest entertaining devices. It has always called my attention how easily children get attached to video games, and I have always wondered whether it is good for them or not. My experience as a game player is not deep, nor long, but I can tell I had friends in school that were quite into all kinds of video games, whether they were of adventure, role-playing, or strategy, among others. They always said how much these video games had helped them to learn English, and to become better and faster at solving quick problems. From what I have read, playing video games is, actually, a good tool for acquiring skills, and they help avoiding some learning disabilities, such as dyslexia and hyperactivity disorders. The issue states when there is no control over what kind of video games children play, and experts have told that it is parents' responsibility to mentor that their kids play adequate games for their age. In my opinion, we need to keep our children away from violent games, and encourage them to complement this with other activities, such as reading books and playing sports. I would like you to tell me your experience as video games players and to give me your views on whether video games are useful at learning or not. Would you let your children spend hours in front of a television and a console, or a computer?

No comments:

Post a Comment